Saturday, June 7, 2014

Tithing

  1. Tithing is a test of faith with eternal blessings.
    -Tithing: A Test of Faith with Eternal Blessings, Robert D. Hales (October 2002 General Conference)
  1. Tithing is a commandment with a promise. The words of Malachi, reaffirmed by the Savior, promise those who bring their tithes into the storehouse that the Lord will open “the windows of heaven, and pour [them] out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.”
    -Tithing, Dallin H. Oaks (April 2002 General Conference)
  1. Mary Fielding Smith continued in her poverty to pay tithing. When someone at the tithing office inappropriately suggested one day that she should not contribute a tenth of the only potatoes she had been able to raise that year, she cried out to the man, “William, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Would you deny me a blessing? If I did not pay my tithing, I should expect the Lord to withhold His blessings from me. I pay my tithing, not only because it is a law of God, but because I expect a blessing by doing it. [I need a blessing.] By keeping this and other laws, I expect to … be able to provide for my family.”
    -Like a Watered Garden, Jeffrey R. Holland (October 2001 General Conference)
  1. All of us can afford to pay tithing. In reality, none of us can afford not to pay tithing. The Lord will strengthen our resolve. He will open a way to comply.
    -Be Thou an Example, Thomas S. Monson (October 1996 General Conference)
  1. I want to describe two important lessons I have learned about the law of tithing. The first lesson focuses upon the blessings that come to individuals and families as they faithfully obey this commandment. The second lesson emphasizes the importance of tithing in the growth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in all of the world.
    -The Windows of Heaven, Elder David A. Bednar (October 2013 General Conference)

  2. Paying tithing is not a token gift we are somehow charitably bestowing upon God. Paying tithing is discharging a debt.
    -Like A Watered Garden, Jeffery R. Holland (October 2001 General Conference)

  3. The next item is the payment of tithing. Glorious is the promise of the Lord concerning those who pay their tithes. He says in modern revelation that they “shall not be burned”
    -Let Virtue Garnish Thy Thoughts Unceasingly, Gordon B. Hinckley (April 2007 General Conference)

  4. The promised blessings for obedience to the law of tithing are just as specific as are those for obedience to the Word of Wisdom.
    -Trust in the Lord, Marion G. Romney (April 1979 General Conference)

  5. To develop enduring faith, an enduring commitment to be a full-tithe payer is essential. Initially it takes faith to tithe. Then the tithe payer develops more faith to the point that tithing becomes a precious privilege.
    -Face the Future with Faith, Russell M. Nelson (April 2011 General Conference)

  6. First, pay your tithing. Do you want the windows of heaven opened to you? Do you wish to receive blessings so great there is not room enough to receive them? Always pay your tithing and leave the outcome in the hands of the Lord.
    -Earthly Debts, Heavenly Debts , Joseph B. Wirthlin (April 2004 General Conference)

    I never paid tithing until I was 20. I remember getting one of those tithing/missionary fund box banks when I was a kid in primary, I think I put baseball cards in it. Well, when I decided to go on a mission I felt the great need to pay tithing. It wasn’t read the Book of Mormon or is Joseph Smith, the restorer of the gospel it was tithing. Over the past few years, it has been the strength of tithing that has held me up and supported me over some really tough times. Times where there was no way that we could get by. It's a huge part of my testimony. 

No comments:

Post a Comment